Help for Starting or Growing a Small Business
Owatonna is a pioneer in fostering entrepreneurship and business innovation. Since 1988, its Business Incubator has provided space, training, loans and mentoring to more than 1,000 entrepreneurs and small business owners – a quarter of whom have started new enterprises.
The Owatonna Area Business Development Center’s (OABDC), formerly the Owatonna Business Incubator, mission is “to foster small business growth and to create an environment conducive to entrepreneurial business success within the Owatonna area.”
The Owatonna Incubator (PDF) does this by providing counseling services to existing businesses and to individuals starting a business. In addition, the Incubator rents office and manufacturing space to start-up or grow you company.
The OABDC is a U.S. Small Business Administration sponsored Small Business Development Center (SBDC) and offers the following services at no cost and on a confidential bases to existing businesses and to individuals who are starting a business in the Owatonna Area.
- Financial Analysis: to help develop and understand the records you need.
- Business Organization: how this affects taxes, liability, sale of your business.
- Marketing and Sales Promotion: who they are and how to reach your customers.
- Licensing and Permit Requirements: what are they – local, state, federal.
- Sources of Financing: who they might be and what you will need.
- Writing Business Plans
- Putting together loan applications
Training and Referrals
- Classroom Training
- Selling to State and Federal Governments
- Invention/Innovation Resources
- Additional Resources are available.
The OABDC’s 40,000 square foot facility is located in the Owatonna Industrial Park. Manufacturing and office rental space is available to help businesses get started.
Businesses that locate in the center will have a regional or beyond focus in their marketing plan. If you rent from the center here are some of the benefits, features and services available to you.
- Save money. Lease only the manufacturing space you need while sharing facilities with other tenants. Add space as you need more space.
- Professional setting. Work in comfortable modern office suites and manufacturing space designed for manufacturing.
- Strengthen your business skills. You have access to individuals in the community who will volunteer their expertise and experience to help you grow. Utilize the center’s experienced staff that are located on site.
- Share experiences and learn from other tenants who are also building their businesses.
Manufacturing space has four loading docks, 22 foot ceiling height, good lighting, and the electrical power you may need.
- Modern office Suites
- Convenient location with employee and visitor parking
- Shared Common areas: conference room, lunchroom, and restrooms.
Mail pick-up and delivery, copy/fax, WiFi, custodial and maintenance services, and more.